Breaking News

7TH SEP 2017 OPEN INTERNATIONAL DE NANTES - DAY TWO ROUNDUP: MARCHE AND TOMLINSON SEAL SEMIS SPOTS

Mazen Hesham
“I was excited about my shots and keeping the crowd entertained as well, it’s what I play for. I’m so happy to be here and playing and to be in the semi-finals of the first tournament of the season.
“It would mean a lot to reach the final, it’s been almost two years that I have played regularly on the Tour, so to end this tournament by reaching the final would be the greatest feeling.”
Tomlinson will meet fourth seed Nele Gilis in the semi-finals of the women’s event after they claimed respective wins over qualifying duo Sivasangari Subramaniam and Nouran El Torky.
Tomlinson was almost on the end of a shock defeat after going two games down to Malaysia’s Subramaniam, who played with a maturity beyond her 18 years.
The World No.22 eventually found her range in the third though and a determined response saw her ease to victory before following that up by edging the fourth and fifth games to seal an 6-11, 6-11, 11-1, 11-9, 11-9 triumph.
Millie Tomlinson (left) v Sivasangari Subramaniam (right)
“I started slowly again like I did in the first round, it seems to be a theme this season so I will try to get over that going into the next round,” said Tomlinson.
“I watched a few clips of her before so I knew she was a good player and I expected her to be tricky and fast.
“It was amazing to play on the glass court. I think it’s the best atmosphere I’ve ever played in so it’s really cool with the crowd.”
Gilis, meanwhile was in complete control for the majority of her match against El Torky, claiming comfortable wins in the first and third games either side of a tight tie-break triumph in the second as she claimed an 11-6, 12-10, 11-5 victory.
Nele Gilis
“I’m very happy,” Gilis said.
“I didn’t come into this tournament with any expectations because it’s the first tournament of the season. I just try to enjoy and focus on my own game and see where it takes me.”
The Open International de Squash de Nantes continues with the second day of quarter-final action on between September 8 and it will be shown live on SQUASHTV (rest of world) and Eurosport Player (Europe only).
Results – Quarter Finals (Top Half) : 2017 Men’s Open International de Squash de Nantes
[3] Mazen Hesham (EGY) bt Olli Tuominen (FIN) 3-1: 11-6, 11-4, 10-12, 11-7 (39m)
[1] Gregoire Marche (FRA) bt [5] Chris Simpson (ENG) 3-0: 11-6, 11-4, 11-7 (46m)
 
Draw – Men’s Quarter-Finals (Bottom Half): To Be Played September 8th
[4] Nicolas Mueller (SUI) v [7] Abdulla Mohd Al Tamimi (QAT)
Ben Coleman (ENG) v [2] Mathieu Castagnet (FRA)
 
Draw – Men’s Semi-Finals (Top Half): To Be Played September 9th
[1] Gregoire Marche (FRA) v [3] Mazen Hesham (EGY)
[4] Nicolas Mueller (SUI) or [7] Abdulla Mohd Al Tamimi (QAT) v Ben Coleman (ENG) or [2] Mathieu Castagnet
 
Results – Quarter Finals (Top Half): 2017 Women’s Open International de Squash de Nantes
[4] Nele Gilis (BEL) bt [Q] Nouran El Torky (EGY) 3-0: 11-6, 12-10, 11-5 (35m)
[1] Millie Tomlinson (ENG) bt [Q] Sivasangari Subramaniam (MAS) 3-2: 6-11, 6-11, 11-1, 11-9, 11-9 (51m)
 
Draw – Women’s Quarter-Finals (Bottom Half): To Be Played September 8th
[3] Coline Aumard (FRA) v [5] Hollie Naughton (CAN)
[6] Misaki Kobayashi (JPN) bt [2] Fiona Moverley (ENG)
 
Draw – Women’s Semi-Finals (Top Half): To Be Played September 9th
 [1] Millie Tomlinson (ENG) v [4] Nele Gilis (BEL)
[3] Coline Aumard (FRA) or [5] Hollie Naughton (CAN) v [6] Misaki Kobayashi (JPN) or [2] Fiona Moverley (ENG)

No comments